Digital learning platforms are the new educational platform that serves to deliver learning experiences that help students to actively engage themselves with the available educational content. A number of educators utilize various digital learning platforms as a part of their informative and instructive content to make learning more interesting, interactive and more easier for the students and to provide them lessons that serve to be personalized and helpful for each and every learner.
Depending on the product and services, an instructor seems to have those students that utilize different software in the classrooms as a part of their day’s lesson or instruct or direct them to use it at home just for the extra practice with the available course content and materials. As there has been a rise in the number of platforms to incorporate functions of adaptive learning. Thereafter the tool changes the lesson in a dynamic manner based on the performance of an individual student.
There seems to be a number of digital learning platforms that serves to be targeted towards various educational objectives that comprises different tools designed in such a way to help students in building their knowledge around some of the particular subjects like social studies or science including some others that have the aim of developing and improving cross-curricular skills such as writing or reading. These learning tools can be used by both teachers as well as professors at all the available levels of schooling ranging from the early grades in k-12 schools to the institutions of higher education.
These products sometimes combine with learning management systems to permit a streamlined method mainly for teachers to create digital content from the lessons that are available within the students. A number of digital learning platforms also share characteristics along with the various study tools which are mainly designed for the preparation of the tests along with the classroom management software which mainly aims to maintain a safe and productive environment for learning. Some of the available products might also have the capabilities for the assessment of various software.
To qualify for various inclusions available in the category of digital learning platforms, a category should:-
- Be designed in such a way that it can be used by instructors at the schools of KG-12 along with the higher educational institutions.
- Deliver interactive educational lessons to the students.
- Incorporate gamification or multimedia elements and content designed in such a way to enhance student engagement.
- Personalize and review the learning experience for each and every student.
- Generate results based on the data of the performance by the student.
Features of digital learning platforms:-
- File imports:- For teachers who create their own lessons by using several digital learning platforms they have the ability to upload new files and folders that permit them to add several texts and multimedia elements to their available assignments. For example PDFs, JPEGs, presentation files, and word processor documents.
- Multimedia content:- Digital learning platforms use multimedia content to make the lessons even more engaging for the students than before. These platforms support a numerous range of multimedia content that comprises video, audio and even animation also.
- Lesson library:- Most of the digital learning platforms come up with pre made lessons from which teachers can select or choose from. How extensively and efficiently the selection is varied by these platforms that offer thousands of lessons. These platforms may also contain some of the free pre-made lessons or the user seems to purchase the lessons. Most of the products might also provide the ability for teachers to customize ready to use lessons that will mainly fit and suit their needs and desires.
- Administrative dashboards:- Teachers might also use some visual dashboards to see and review the activities of the students which they are completing followed by their individual performance on their assessments. Most of the digital learning platforms also provide the ability to export and develop this data into reports of the students.
- Quizzes and assessments:- These platforms give the ability to assign and give assignments to students to check and review their mastery of the given materials and that too skills. The tools that are available may come up with some preloaded assignments or it could also permit teachers to make their own assessments for the students.
- Student device control:- In some digital learning platforms, teachers have the full authority to control the content for the students or student devices. Teachers may also have the ability to synchronize a particular lesson over a number of student devices or simply lock a web browser to control and access the browsing activity of the students who are just enrolled to take a test for themselves.
- Polls and audience feedback tools:- For the instructors who just want to know about their students what they are thinking at a given moment of time. Many of the digital learning platforms allow users and give them the ability just to set up a live poll that students can respond to and reply to them. The immediate feedback gives access to the instructors to adjust a particular lesson or just do a discussion regarding the results. Most of the digital learning platforms also allow their instructors to view other types of audience feedback such as seeing text responses that students seem to have typed in as a response to that particular question.
- Integrations:- Digital learning platforms sometimes integrate with a number of other education software comprising LMS, i.e. Learning Management System along with the SIS, i.e. Student Information System that allow their instructors and users to transfer the data of the students from one system to another conveniently. It also helps them to share information regarding the assignments among students.
- Adaptive learning:- With the use of artificial intelligence, most of the digital learning platforms include adaptive learning technologies that have the ability to enable the software that can be used continuously to assess the performance of a student and therefore changes the lesson on the fly. It mainly depends on the student’s ability to determine the mastery of the subject. Adaptive learning helps and makes it possible for each and every student to have a personalized experience of learning that has been tailored to their specific needs and desires.
Types of digital learning platforms:-
Some of the important differentiators for digital learning platforms are whether they comprise ready to use lessons or the functions of adaptive learning.
- Pre made content vs teacher-created content:- While some of the digital learning platforms come up with a library containing ready to use lessons whereas other digital learning platforms require teachers just to create their own unique lessons by uploading materials for the sake of students. Also, some digital learning platforms offer both such as pre made content as well as teacher-created content. A teacher might choose or select to use a platform that provides pre-made content if they are seeking for resources available which will help them to build a new curriculum or substitute various substantial resources to an existing or available curriculum. Instructors who utilize their existing and available materials to engage students in a new manner might not need that available ready to use content and therefore, they choose that platform which allows them.to create their own courses.
- Adaptive vs. non-adaptive platforms:- Advancements related to artificial intelligence have enabled some of the digital learning platforms to make use of the feature of adaptive learning in which the available software adjusts the lessons of the subjects based on the performance of a student to create a personalized way of learning experience for them. While, other digital learning platforms might enable a student to take traditional based pre-assessment to demonstrate whichever path of learning the students should follow for their sake and needs. Still, many of the digital learning platforms might leave it up to the teacher or depend on the teacher or student to manually choose a lesson which they want to complete by themselves.